Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Abductions

In Fairlawn, a 13 year old girl claimed that she was confronted by a man who tried to pull her inside his car. Logan's school had the police come out and talk to them about being abducted and what to do in that situation. So - naturally, Logan and I had a conversation about it as well. I think Kevin's comic book influence has something to do with his reaction.

I started by asking Logan if he knew what an abduction was. He described it pretty accurately. I told him that he should never go with anyone he doesn't know and that I haven't given him permission to leave with. That he should kick, scream, bite, and basically do anything to escape. That not everyone out there is nice, some people are truly super villains.

Logan says, "Really, Mom? I'm allowed to fight back? What if there's a gun? Can I shoot him? Can I Mom? Can I kill him? What if he left a knife in his car? Can I use that? And Mom, there aren't really super villains. Because, um, they have super powers you know? And these guys don't!"

So I say, "Logan, if you can't get away and have to defend yourself, it would be okay to use a weapon if you had to. It's important that you get away and run to the nearest adult for help."

Logan says, "Mom. Um...Does Dad know about this? He knows I'd be allowed to use a weapon like a gun or a knife?"

I say, "Yes Logan, I think your dad would agree."

Logan says, "Mom, are you sure? Does Dad know this?"

I say, "YES LOGAN! But I'll ask him to be sure."

Then Logan says, "Mom, This would like, never work! Kids are too smart. Plus. . ummm hello! I have a cell phone! I would just call for help while I was in the car. We would never believe that someone was looking for a lost pet or trying to give us candy. But Mom, what if I'm taking care of Connor? If I tried to run, I would have to drag him - and um - he's really heavy!"

Anyways - Logan thinks that 1. It's cool to use a weapon when fighting. 2. That he could never be stolen because he is way too tough! 3. That no kids have ever been successfully stolen. and 4. That it is more important to have permission from his dad so he doesn't get in trouble, than to escape.

I'm not sure this conversation was so successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment